Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Living on a budget 101

I have to say that transferring to being a one income family has been an adjustment, but so worth it. There are still a few things that we have to figure out. I feel like it is a game to see how much money we have left at the end of a pay period...and can we afford to get a pizza? I have become the coupon queen - so if you have any great coupons, send them my way....I have been on the hunt for great sites that has good coupons, found some, but the coupons aren't always what I would buy anyway....

I love collecting points on our CC. We got an c-card last year...in the first year we got cash back almost $220 for the year. I am hoping that we can reach that this year. So, here is my trick..so you don't get a shocking bill at the end of the month (something that I used to do all the time - about get a heart attack when the bill came)..so now, every time I make a purchase on the CC, I write it in my checkbook, just like I wrote a check...then when the bill comes, I match everything up and pay it...this system has worked great for us this past few years, and I find myself spending less, because I know exactly how much money we have at any given point. If there isn't enough money in the account, then one can't make extra purchases....No surprises in the mail....

Another adjustment is that I can't just go to town (90 miles round trip) whenever I want...it costs money to go to town, so I have to wait until I have a reason to go....just to shop for fun isn't a good enough reason...so this week I am at home all week. Hoping to have a friend come over with her baby one day this week.

We are getting into a better routine. Just now takes 2 or 3 naps a day (depending upon what time he wakes up). This morning he woke up at 8am and went for a nap about 11am....this is good, he will take another nap about 3pm, and then stay up till bedtime around 9pm. We had a slight relapse from sleeping in his own bed for a bit, but for the past three nights he has been in his own bed. The first night he cried a lot, but the last two night have been just cry a few minutes, then he falls asleep - amazing!!!

Okay, almost lunch and Todd will be home.....so nice to have him come home for Lunches!

1 comment:

BandK said...

Sounds like you are really enjoying being a stay-at-home Mommy, despite the challenges! Great idea about the credit card thing -- a friend of mine told me about that several years ago, and it's a great plan. :-)