Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Freegans

So as I am sitting here, I keep thinking of ways to save, save, save....just my thing I guess. I was thinking of the freegan lifestyle...not that I would want to be a total freegan, but I do see the point of a lot of it. Wasted food going into our landfills...why can't it go to people who need food, or to people who might just eat it.

I don't think our small town is much for the freeganism...doubt that the grocery store throws it out at night and I don't think I will be dumpster diving anytime soon - but the notion is interesting.

I am always trying to consume less, recyle, and come up with more home-made versions of things.

2 comments:

BandK said...

Yeah, I see Freegans every day -- they're homeless people! LOL

Seriously, I can't see how dumpster diving could be a viable way of life. I mean, ewwww.

There's got to be a better way. Maybe you could organize a group or a co-op that could purchase "throw away" food from local grocery stores and resell it, kind of like a day-old bread store. Just a thought.

Have you looked into something like medical transcription that you could do part-time to bring in a few extra bucks to bridge the gap? There are some legitimate work-at-home businesses out there that would only involve a few hours a week.

Anonymous said...

there's nothing funny about homeless people trying to survive