Monday, February 26, 2007

Monday - In need of advice...

I was changing Justin's diaper today and he was in a good mood (at least for the moment)....tried to capture a smile, but didn't get one...but this is a close up. You can tell if you enlarge that he may just end up with red hair. Sometimes it looks red and sometimes more blonde, depends upon the lighting...

I am in need of a bit of help:

Anyone know of the backseat mirror that is good for use in the Tahoe (no headrest in the center) center seat-so I can see Justin while I am driving with him alone? We have bought two and they don't work, there is nothing to attach them to in the back and we don't want to move Justin to the side....any ideas? My only next thought is to try to tie them to the headrests with rope or something, but seems like there should be something out there that will work.

Justin is still working on the whole when to sleep issue. Last night he went down at 8:30 and slept till around 9:00am (waking up every 3 hours to feed - Meaning that I only got 2 hours at a time to sleep)....I am really hoping this sleeping issue gets better. Today he was up from 10am to around 4:30 and was very cranky, and all he wants to do is eat, but just eat small portions all day long....I want to make him wait, but don't want him to go hungry either, so it could take an hour for him to get a full feeding...he will fall asleep while feeding, I put him down, and he wakes up 10 minutes later. Then he wants to eat again. He does this all day long until (like tonight) he finally fell asleep around 5pm and has been asleep for an hour and half now - just hoping he plans to go to bed at a descent hour tonight as well. Midnight is just too late for us...but he did that two nights ago.....can't wait for him to sleep for at least 5 or 6 hours straight! Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

BandK said...

I don't have any ideas for you on the rearview mirror issue, although I have heard of a thing you can attach to your rearview mirror, a little round thing that you look at, that allows you to see the backseat. That way no need to attach anything to the back seat.

A couple of ideas on the nursing issue. One is that perhaps you're not relaxing enough and not letting down enough milk. Or perhaps his ears are hurting if he's coming down with a cold, and the nursing makes his ears hurt. Of course, if that were the case, then he would nurse and cry and nurse and cry, not nurse and fall asleep. If he falls asleep after nursing a few minutes, and you know he hasn't eaten everything he needs, perhaps you could wake him up, stimulate him by tapping his feet or playing with him so he wakes up enough to take a full meal.

The last piece of advice is -- this too, shall pass, and it will be over before you know it. Sleep when you can and don't worry about housework, etc., especially if he's up every two hours. It is not at all unusual for babies to not settle into a real sleep routine until 6 weeks old or so. I remember when my babies slept through the night the first time. You wake up and realize that they haven't cried all night. Your breasts are engorged with milk, and you panic, thinking that something has happened to them. What a relief to dash into their room and see them sleeping peacefully. It's all good, and it's all part of being newborns. Hang in there -- you can do it!

Maybe Grammy can come watch the baby for awhile during the day so you can get some sleep?

Hugs,
Karen :-)

erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
erin said...

I know that driving with a crying baby or not being able to see him when you are driving can be stressful. I didn't/don't have a mirror attachment. I just limited my outings with my little man unless I/somebody could ride in the back with him. He now rides in the back just fine now that his eyesight is more developed.

I read a book called Babywise. It suggests doing a combination of parent directed feeding along with baby hunger cues. I followed a three hour cycle of nursing-- followed by awake time-- followed by nap time during the day. And then during the night you skip the awake time and let the time in between feedings go beyond three hours as guided by the baby.

It is really important to make sure that you are consuming enough calories, protien, and water so that your milk is rich with the nutrients that your little guy needs to grow and develop. I know that it can be hard to find the time to eat, so I stock up on yogurt, granola bars, almonds, string cheese, and 1% milk.

Most all newborn babies go through a fussy period that starts around 5pm and ends around 10pm. Don't worry this usually only lasts for the first 3 months. Don't take his crying personally! Two things that helped to calm Trenton were a bath and walking around the house. The bath is part of our nightly routine and helps to relax Trenton and it also helps to get all of the germs of him especially if we have been out and about. He loves his bath and looks forward to it every night!! Walking also helps to calm him. I think we wore a hole in one of our area rugs from walking him.

Remember to take time for yourself. Don't be afraid to let your hubby take him for 20 minutes while you go soak in the tub, enjoy a hot shower, or sip some hot tea and read a chapter in a book. You need that time! Your baby can sense if you are getting stressed.

Hang in there. You are doing a great job and Justin is a very handsome little fellow!!

Paula Jo said...

Hey Alicia we drive a tahoe... I have always put Alyssa next to the window, we were told it is safer to use the latch than have her in the center with no latch. I have the fisher price mirror and just wraped it around the head rest it has a strap on it. The other nice things about also having them next to a window is then you have the rest of your back seat for diaper changes on the go and nursing. Plus you don't kill your self getting them into the car. Good luck!