Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Update

Well, I am on my third day of Maternity Leave. Can't say that I have done much. I did go to Wal-Mart both Monday and Tuesday. And, I have a new appreciation of the CROCKPOT. I can smell dinner cooking right now, so yummy! Last night I had thrown in pork chops for dinner and tonight we are having sweet and sour chicken - can't wait to see how it turns out. It took me a whole 5 minutes to prepare the goods for the crockpot and then we will only have one dish to clean! I love it!

I am almost done with all the laundry for the baby. I had a few things still left to launder. I have also been working on scrappbooking a bit. I took the pictures from both Todd and I's childhood and have been making a book of us growing up. It is turning out pretty well, although I am not as detailed as some folks, I sometimes just throw the pics in with a frame and go with it.

I am seriously considering doing the cloth diaper service now. I have been doing so much research on it, and it really does seem so much better for the environment. I am not one to do the laundry in my own washer, so I talked to the service here locally. I have an appointment with them tomorrow afternoon. It is a few dollars more per week (like $3), but they say that children will potty train that much soon, so I figure that will make up the difference in the long run. And, then there is the diaper rash issue....me being so fair skinned, I am sure the baby may have the same issue? And, then there is the landfill issue. I can't say that I am such a reclyer, etc, but throwing out all the diapers seems like such a waste. I do have a stock of disposables already on hand, and may use them along side with the cloth, I was thinking maybe if we go to town or something, I can still use them. Any other Mom's out there using cloth diapers? I think I am going to do the inital startup for the month and if I don't like it, they say I can cancel with a 3 day notice.

I don't have a picture as I haven't really gotten "dressed" up enough to feel like taking a picture of myself...maybe tomorrow when I really have to go out into the public :)

Okay, this will be all for now. Any cloth diaper advice would be appreciated!

5 comments:

Cari said...

Juan and I looked into cloth diapers, just out of curiousity. We heard that they're actually no better for the environment because the bleach they use to clean the diapers washes into the streams and creeks. But, like I said, we looked into it out of curiousity, not seriously. I'll be interested to know what you decide.

BandK said...

While you're at home, cloth certainly is just as easy as disposables, especially if you use a service. The only tricky thing is getting the hang of pinning them. Remember to put your fingers between the pin and Baby!! When you go back to work, you'd have to see if your daycare would accept cloth -- most insist on disposables. Besides, you wouldn't want to come home at the end of the day with a bagful of a day's worth of dirty diapers! YUCK. But if your daycare is family, no doubt they'd use whatever choice you made. But my advice -- for traveling, disposables are an absolute MUST HAVE. I used cloth diapers with a service for awhile with my oldest (of course that was EONS ago!) but I always had disposables on hand -- if I was going to be running errands, and if I had a babysitter. I always took pity on my babysitters (the teenage ones) and used disposables while they were sitting.

Long answer -- but just some thoughts! I think your idea of trying it for a month and seeing if you like it is a good one.

Enjoy your time -- I can't wait to see pics of Baby Warren when the time comes!!

rae ann said...

i looked into cloth as well and found the exact same info that cari mentioned. another downside is how much energy they require to clean them. it puts both the bleach and sanitizing chemicals back in our water and it requires an insane amount of energy to wash them.

in the long run, we went with disposables since it seemed like it was going to be a toss up either way. i like the convienience too.

too bad the G diapers aren't cheaper, huh?

enjoy this time. it's going to change very, very soon.

Didge said...

I can't say that I ever seriously considered using cloth diapers but I know a few moms here who did. I would say the greatest advantage of disposables is convenience. If you can imagine it, a newborn can need a new diaper up to maybe 10+ times per day. At the beginning their digestion is so curious that you seem to be constantly changing a diaper. I think the new cloth ones are velcro closure or at least some are. This would make it much quicker to change but I think that in the middle of the night with only one eye open and a screaming infant, you are going to want convenience! That is how I felt. The cloth diapers are bulky, which looked uncomfortable to me sometimes when I saw my friends' babies. If you choose disposables, you can still do something else to contribute to the wellbeing of the environment that makes a difference too.

Dim and Jana said...

We also looked into cloth, but Heidi hit the nail on the head... convenience in the middle of the night. Reese wanted to be changed (or so we thought) whenever he was wet. If we'd used cloth it seems like it would have been worse. And Heidi was right. Those first six weeks you are changing diapers all day! So, my two cents... go with disposables... I also wish the G diapers were cheaper. I'd use those in a heartbeat.