Sunday, July 10, 2011

Our 22 days in the NICU

We had a wonderful NICU experience, although it wasn't our ideal birth experience, it was made well in the end. We had super staff helping us 24/7.

Todd had the first week off of work, so he was able to stay in the hospital with all of us. Devin was put on Cpap right away after birth and put in his incubator. Preston did okay the first few hours, but they put him on Cpap to eleviate his need to work so hard to breathe.





This was home sweet home for us for the first 10 days maybe.....We were kept in the dark as much as possible and tried to keep really quiet. Devin was the very sensitive to sound, so those first few days if anyone made a loud noise, his machines would start going off...They tried to put new babies close to us, but had to move them since it irritated Devin so much. There were signs in the hallway to be quiet!



We were able to hold Preson that first day (or maybe the second day-it is all a blur, but I do know we couldn't hold Devin for a while). Kangaroo Care is strongly encouraged, so we did this as much as we could. It was a whole process to get them situated with all the tubes and wires....Had us, and the RT (respatory therapy) and  nurse to move one baby.

Changing up the CPAP....see how tiny they are.

This is Preson.

Kangaroo....not sure which baby at this point.

Close up on a CPAP machine.

Both Babies.....

Some Daddy time!!!!

This was Father's Day...we spent it in the NICU and went out to lunch with Mommy.

In the last week, the boys were able to co-bed at the hospital (until the last few nights-then they had them in seperate beds).

I was able to stay at the hospital during the babies NICU stay. After I was discharged from the postpartum unit, they let me have a room in the hospital. It is called a boarding room (free of charge for any NICU parents) that want to stay with their babies. I was fortunate enough to have Dana, Jim, and Oma to care for Clayton and Justin so I could spend the time with the twins.

I am so thankful for the visitors that came to keep me sane. I usually had one visitor per day. Some folks brought me lunch, some brought magazine, and some good company. My Aunt Elaine was able to come spend a few days and spend the night with me too.

I know there is more I want to share, so maybe more to come later....and more photo's of the homefront and the older boys....

No comments: